Social media marketing includes promotion through all social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, etc. Social media marketing includes all activities that attracts attention to social media channels and encourages readers to share it across their social networks (more likes, shares, tweets, etc.). Social media networks allow businesses to build relationships, communities and also to interact with customers: with sales promotions, product giveaways, asking for opinions, etc. Nowadays these networks have more and more advertising options to offer. Facebook for example provides many possibilities via its Facebook Ads page and Twitter launched Twitter Advertising in the Netherlands in 2012. Since 2015 it is also possible to advertise on Instagram.
Social media branding
Social media is less focused on conversions: on generating online sales. Social media marketing is much more focused on customer interaction, branding and appearance. There are many ways to make the most out of these social media channels, such as Facebook. A number of these possible goals are:
- Generating sales, for example via Facebook
- Generating campaigns for collecting more likes & shares
- Attaining newsletter subscriptions (collecting client data through campaigns)
- Stimulating product reviews (externally by independent partners and internally on your own website)
- Stimulating opinions about products/product range (free giveaway samples)
- Encourage making photos of products, that can be later used as a supplement on product pages
- Generate votes for events/awards
Facebook Advertising is one of the most popular ways to promote your Facebook page or your own website. Previously there were limited opportunities in terms of advertising, now however, there are a number of possibilities to choose from. The viewed products can be shown in ads on Facebook (dynamic remarketing). Have you thought about how you would like to reach your target audience on Facebook? Do you want to show products that customers have already viewed? Or is promoting messages within your target audience more important to you.
A good strategy is essential: your customers are not waiting for irrelevant push messages to appear on their Facebook timeline. Posting messages on a regular basis however, and promoting the popular messages can give an extra boost to your marketing!